Information on air quality is at New Mexico Department of Health Environmental Public Health Tracking, https://nmtracking.org/fire. An interactive smoke map at: https://fire.airnow.gov/ allows you to zoom into your area to see the latest smoke conditions.
The most updated road closure information can be found here: https://www.nmroads.com/mapIndex.html
CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE:
- Carson National Forest, portion:
- All lands, trails, and roads in the Camino Real Ranger District (east of Truchas, Penasco, and Taos north to the southern Taos Pueblo boundary), including: La Junta Canyon CG, US Hill, Sipapu Ski Area, Comales CG, Capulin CG, Santa Barbara CG, and Tres Ritos. NM 518 is closed at Sipapu Ski Area.
- Bandelier National Monument
- Cibola National Forest, portion:
- Bear Trap Fire (south of Magdalena in the San Mateo Mts)
- The Bear Trap Fire Area Closure, Road and Trails Closure Order 03-0726 has been issued for National Forest System lands within the Magdalena Ranger District, Cibola National Forest, Socorro County, New Mexico. A map of the Closure Area is available at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd1018255.pdf
- Cochiti Lake Rec Area
- Coyote Creek State Park
- Ft Union National Monument
- Kaha-Katuwe Tent Rocks NM (also closed indefinitely due to pandemic)
- Monastery Lake
- Morphy Lake State Park
- Pecos Canyon State Park
- Santa Fe National Forest, portions:
- Calf Canyon/Hermit’s Peak Fire (west of Las Vegas in the Sangre de Cristo Mts)
- All lands, trails and roads in the Pecos/Las Vegas Ranger District, including Pecos Wilderness backcountry access at the north end of NM 63, Holy Ghost CG, and all roads and lands east and west of NM 63, and north, west, and south of I 25 (incl. Glorieta (Rowe) Mesa, Glorieta Peak, Elk Mountain, Cow and Willow Creeks, Gallinas Canyon, El Porvenir, Sapello, Mora, Cleveland, etc). The Closure Order and maps are available at: www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santafe/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprd3802009
- Cerro Pelado Fire (west of Santa Fe in the Jemez Mts)
- All lands, trails and roads (local traffic only) east and south of NM 4 to Bandelier National Monument (incl Paliza CG, Ponderosa Winery). The Closure Order and maps are available at: www.fs.usda.gov/detail/santafe/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprd3802009) restricting public access to the area around the fire. Specifically, all Forest Service lands within an area roughly defined by NM Highway 4 on the west, Valles Caldera National Preserve on the north, Bandelier National Monument on the east, and Zia Pueblo and Santo Domingo Pueblo on the south are closed to the public. The Forest also issued Closure Order Number 10-507 for the Cerro Pelado Firefighter Camp along FR 376. The purpose of both orders is to protect public health and safety due to extreme fire danger in the Restricted Area.
- Storrie Lake State Park
- Valles Caldera National Preserve
Fires on all public recreation sites and lands in northern NM are strictly limited to propane or white gas stoves. No open campfires in developed sites or dispersed lands. This is sometimes referred to as 'Stage II Fire Restrictions'. Only stoves that can be turned off immediately are allowed until further notice. Stage II Fire Restrictions prohibits building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or stove including charcoal and briquettes. Smoking is also prohibited except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least 3 feet in diameter that is cleared of flammable material.
- All Bureau of Land Management lands in the New Mexico are under Stage II Fire Restrictions.
- All lands within the Carson, Cibola, Santa Fe and Lincoln National Forests and Grasslands not already closed are under Stage II Fire Restrictions. Forest lands, trails, and roads in the Espanola Ranger District of the Santa Fe National Forest, including: Santa Fe Ski Area, Aspen Vista, Lower Winsor Nat Rec Trail, NM 475, Hyde Mem State Park, and Borrego Mesa are open, but under Stage II Fire Restrictions.
- The Gila National Forest is under Stage I Fire Restrictions. Campfires are allowed only within established rings and grills in the Gila NF.
- All New Mexico State Parks (statewide) not already closed are under Stage II Fire Restrictions. Coyote Creek, Storrie Lake, Morphy Lake, and Pecos Canyon State Parks are closed until further notice.
- All National Park Service sites not already closed are under Stage II Fire Restrictions. Bandelier NM and Ft Union NM are closed until further notice.
- All NM State Trust Lands statewide are under Stage II Fire Restrictions)
- All Santa Fe county trails are open including: Atalaya Mtn, Dale Ball, El Camino Real, Rail, Diablo Canyon, Nambe, La Tierra and Galisteo Basin Preserve.
- Many other county, tribal, municipal, and regional areas have fire restrictions. Inquire locally before traveling.
Fireworks are never allowed at any time on public lands.
The public may be referred to: https://nmfireinfo.com/fire-restrictionsfor more information.
This information is subject to change without notice, but will be updated as necessary.